Taking place on 16 June 2017, TEDxSydney is one of the biggest TEDx events globally, and last year was seen by over 140,000 people via the live event, our livestream and satellite events program. Plans are underway to make next year the largest live TEDxSydney event to date.
TEDxSydney films are seen by vast numbers of like-minded creatives. They have been viewed millions of times online, programmed in other prestigious film festivals and won major international awards.
The theme for 2017 is “Unconventional” which you can interpret as closely or as loosely as you wish. Films must be between 1-3 minutes in duration and if selected, will screen at TEDxSydney 2017.
Whilst we are primarily looking for proposals for films that you will create for TEDxSydney 2017, if you have a film that is close to completion and it fits the theme, then we’d also love to hear from you about a potential Australian premiere.
Please read the FAQs and then use the form below to submit your proposal by Friday 3 February 2017.
Q: What’s the submission deadline?
Friday 3rd Feb 2017
Q: When will selections be announced?
Mid Feb 2017.
Q: Is there a theme that the films must adhere to?
The theme for 2017 is ‘Unconventional’. Film proposals are to be based on this theme, as closely or as loosely as the filmmakers wish – up for interpretation. All we ask is that whatever is proposed, it sparks our imaginations / provokes us / makes us laugh or think / delights us.
Q: What about genre and duration?
Your film can be described as any of these genres: Drama / Comedy / Documentary / Animation / Experimental / Live (eg a single-take film or performance to be live-streamed on the day into the theatre – up to you). We are looking to curate a diverse mix. Duration: between 1-3 minutes.
Q: How much experience in filmmaking is TEDx looking for?
Ideally a minimum of 2-3 years. This can include acting as writer, director, producer, cinematographer, editor, art director or designer for TV commercials / short films / video / documentaries / animation / theatre plays / performances. Collaborations are encouraged!
Q: What’s in it for the filmmaker(s) if selected for TEDxSydney 2017?
- Australian premiere of your short film at TEDxSydney – in front of a live audience of over 140,000 international eyeballs via the live event, TEDxSydney livestream and over 250 TEDxSydney Live satellite events.
- An exclusive invite-only film preview night hosted by TEDxSydney, in the lead-up to the big day.
- Two complimentary tickets to TEDxSydney 2017.
- Your film featured on the TEDxSydney YouTube channel after the live event.
- Filmmaker profile on the TEDxSydney site.
- Your film may also be selected to be screened at TEDxYouth@Sydney 2017 or at one of TEDxSydney’s new Salon event series.
- TEDxSydney is seeking to increase distribution through our media partners. Watch this space.
Q: Can I submit more than one proposal?
Yes, absolutely. You are welcome to submit up to three proposals.
Q: Tell me more about TEDxSydney’s film program?
- TEDxSydney’s film program is about showcasing the best in film and visual art in Australia.
- Most of our films are made especially for the TEDxSydney audience and premiered during the event.
- Short but beautiful, the films are space of wonder, reflection, intrigue and comedy within the TEDxSydney program, connecting people with ideas.
Q: Who owns the short film once it’s made and screened at TEDxSydney 2017?
The filmmaker(s). All we ask is that a single title card “Made for TEDxSydney 2017” remains in the end credits.
Q: I am a filmmaker and I want to make a film for TEDxYouth@Sydney.
That’s great – and we want to talk to you. Let us know in your proposal that you’re keen to premiere your film on the youth stage.
Q: Any further questions?
Please email Sinéad McDevitt, Film Curator: email@example.com
Proposal submissions have now closed.