In celebration of next year’s ten year anniversary of TEDxSydney, our theme for 2019 is Legacy and filmmakers are invited to interpret the theme as loosely or as closely as they like. So what do you want to be remembered for?
What have we been left with, what are we doing … and what will we leave behind?
There are almost no rules, except that films must be between 30 seconds and 3 minutes long. We are looking for films that offer unique and interesting perspectives by way of the form they take, subject they tackle or concept they explore. Films that are designed to fit this micro-sized format, rather than squeezed into it.
Think BIG and keep it short.
Taking place on 24 May 2019, TEDxSydney 2019 is one of the biggest TEDx events globally, and watched by people via the live event, our livestream and satellite events program.
TEDxSydney is a unique and vital day of talks, films, music and debate, connecting people through ideas. The film program is curated to fit in amongst the talks and performances for the day and give the audience a chance to shift gears, be challenged, or crack a smile.
TEDxSydney films are seen by vast numbers of like-minded creatives. They have been viewed millions of times online, programmed in other prestigious film festivals and won major international awards. In addition to thousands of people watching the livestream, at TEDxSydney 2019 your film will be viewed by a live audience of 5000+ people.
Read the FAQ’S following and use the form below to submit your proposal.
Entries close 7 December 2018.
Submission Form - Film Program 2019
Q: Tell me more about TEDxSydney’s film program?
- TEDxSydney’s film program is about showcasing the best in film and screen art in Australia.
- The majority of our films are made especially for the TEDxSydney audience and are premiered during the event.
- Short but poignant, the films offer a chance for the audience to take pause, offering moments of reflection, intrigue, laughter and delight within the TEDxSydney program.
Q: When will selections be announced?
Late February 2019.
Q: When will my film be screened?
TEDxSydney takes place on Friday 24 May 2019. A preview night for filmmakers, their guests, as well as film industry guests will take place in the lead up to the main event.
Q: Do the films need to adhere to the theme?
Film proposals are to be based on this theme, as closely or as loosely as the filmmakers wish – up for interpretation. All we ask is that whatever is proposed, it sparks our imaginations / provokes us / makes us laugh or think/delights us. In other words, it’s an idea worth sharing.
Q: Does my film have to premiere at TEDxSydney 2019
Yes. We prefer all works to have their world premiere at the event, but we would still love you to contact us if you have something that is already made that suits.
Q: Does my film have to be created exclusively for TEDxSydney 2019?
Not necessarily. If you have already created a work that you would like to submit we would be happy to look at it.
Q: What about genre and duration?
Your film can be described as any genre, from comedy to conceptual art, drama to dramatically different. Don’t be limited by traditional forms of filmmaking – so long as it is designed to be played on screen it fits the bill.
Duration: anywhere between 30 seconds and 3 minutes.
Q: What are the technical requirements for the films?
Your films must be able to be projected large scale. More tech specs will be provided if your proposal is selected.
Q: Can I produce a multi-screen work that utilises the three screens?
The short answer is yes. We will discuss your proposal with you and see what we can do to facilitate a multi-screen work. For an example of how this might work, watch Nardilmuk | 2018 Film Program.
Q: Can I produce a performance that screens live on the day
Potentially, yes. We will discuss your proposal with you and see how we can make it work.
Q: What’s in it for the filmmaker(s) if selected for TEDxSydney 2019?
- Australian premiere of your short film at TEDxSydney 2019 – in front of a dedicated live audience of 5000 people plus 100,000+ international eyeballs via the TEDxSydney Live Stream and Satellite events.
- An exclusive invite-only film preview night hosted by TEDxSydney, in the lead up to the main event.
- Two complimentary tickets to TEDxSydney 2019.
- A mention in the Film Program in TEDxSydney 2019 printed program including a filmmaker credit.
- Your film may also be selected to be screened at our next TEDxYouth@Sydney event or at one of TEDxSydney’s Salons.
- Your film will be placed on the TEDxSydney website and our youtube channel and promoted via TEDxSydney.
Q: Can I submit more than one proposal?
Yes, absolutely. You are welcome to submit up to 3 proposals.
Q: I am a young creative and I want to make a film for TEDxYouth@Sydney.
That’s great – and we want to talk to you, let us know in your proposal that you’re keen to premiere your film on the youth stage.
Q: Any further questions?
Please email Film Curator Ceinwen Berry: email@example.com