Welcome to the online TEDxSydney community!
This website is provided as a public service to promote the spread of good ideas throughout the world. It welcomes anyone willing to join us in this pursuit.
Anyone can join the TEDxSydney community. Once registered, please feel free to set up a profile and join the community in commenting on TEDxSydney Talks and News Items, or by applying to attend one of our annual TEDxSydney events.
TEDxSydney is organised under license from TED by:
ABN 37 164 042 746
PO Box 7488
Bondi Beach NSW 2026
(02) 8091 8071
Here are the other Terms & Conditions via which TEDxSydney offers you access to its website, platform & services:
1. ACCEPTANCE OF TERMS
You understand that all postings, messages, text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, or other materials (“Content”) posted on, transmitted through, or linked from the Service, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Content originated. More specifically, you are entirely responsible for all Content that you post, email or otherwise make available via the Service. You understand that TEDxSydney does not control, and is not responsible for Content made available through the Service, and that by using the Service, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. Furthermore, the TEDxSydney site and Content available through the Service may contain links to other websites, which are completely independent of TEDxSydney. TEDxSydney makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or authenticity of the information contained in any such site. Your linking to any other webites is at your own risk. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content, that you may not rely on said Content, and that under no circumstances will TEDxSydney be liable in any way for any Content or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted, emailed or otherwise made available via the Service. You acknowledge that TEDxSydney does not pre-screen or approve Content, but that TEDxSydney shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse, delete or move any Content that is available via the Service, for violating the letter or spirit of the Terms or for any other reason.
3. CONDUCT AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- You are solely responsible for your conduct and any Content that you submit, post, and display on the TEDxSydney service.
- You are responsible for any activity or Content associated with your screen name.
- You are responsible for keeping your password secure.
- You must not submit Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, pornographic, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, or harms minors in any way.
- You must not submit Content that harasses, degrades, intimidates or is hateful toward an individual or group of individuals on the basis of religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, age, or disability.
- You must not submit Content that impersonates any person or entity, including, but not limited to, an TEDxSydney employee, or falsely states or otherwise misrepresents your affiliation with a person or entity.
- You must not submit Content that includes non-public personal or identifying information about another person without that person’s explicit consent.
- You must not submit Content that is false, deceptive, misleading, deceitful, misinformative, or constitutes “bait and switch”.
- You may not use the TEDxSydney service for any illegal or unauthorised purpose.
- International users agree to comply with all local laws regarding online conduct and acceptable content.
- You must not modify, adapt or hack the TEDxSydney service or modify another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with TEDxSydney.
- You must not create or submit unwanted email to any TEDxSydney users (“SPAM”).
- You must not create or submit intentionally false or misleading event information.
- You must not transmit any worms or viruses or any code of a destructive nature.
- You must not, in the use of the TEDxSydney service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright laws).
- You must get written authorisation from TEDxSydney before you can use any portion of the TEDxSydney Service, including any Content or use of TEDxSydney‘s API, for any commercial purpose.Violation of any of these terms will result in the termination of your TEDxSydney account. While TEDxSydney prohibits such conduct and content on its site, you understand and agree that TEDxSydney cannot be responsible for the Content posted on its web site and you nonetheless may be exposed to such materials and that you use the TEDxSydney service at your own risk.
4. GENERAL CONDITIONS We reserve the right to modify or terminate all or any portion of the TEDxSydney Service for any reason, without notice at any time.
Although TEDxSydney does not claim ownership of Content that its users post, by posting Content to any public area of the Service, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant to TEDxSydney an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, and distribute said Content and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, said Content, and to grant and authorise sublicenses (through multiple tiers) of the foregoing.
If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please notify TEDxSydney‘s agent for notice of claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement (“Agent”) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. PRIVACY AND INFORMATION DISCLOSURE
7. NO SPAM POLICY
You understand and agree that sending unsolicited email advertisements to TEDxSydney email addresses or through TEDxSydney computer systems, which is expressly prohibited by these Terms, will use or cause to be used servers located in California. Any unauthorised use of TEDxSydney computer systems is a violation of these Terms and certain federal and state laws, including without limitation the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (18 U.S.C. § 1030 et seq.), Section 502 of the California Penal Code and Section 17538.45 of the California Business and Professions Code. Such violations may subject the sender and his or her agents to civil and criminal penalties.
8. TERMINATION OF SERVICE
You agree that TEDxSydney, in its sole discretion, has the right (but not the obligation) to delete or deactivate your account, block your email or IP address, or otherwise terminate your access to or use of the Service (or any part thereof), immediately and without notice, and remove and discard any Content within the Service, for any reason, including, without limitation, if TEDxSydney believes that you have acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the Terms. Further, you agree that TEDxSydney shall not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination of your access to the Service. Further, you agree not to attempt to use the Service after said termination. Sections 2, 4, 6 and 9-13 shall survive termination of these Terms.
9. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
You agree that use of the TEDxSydney site and the service is entirely at your own risk. the TEDxSydney site and the service are provided on an “as is” or “as available” basis, without any warranties of any kind. all express and implied warranties, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement of proprietary rights are expressly disclaimed to the fullest extent permitted by law. To the fullest extent permitted by law, TEDxSydney disclaims any warranties for the security, reliability, timeliness, accuracy, and performance of the TEDxSydney site and the service. To the fullest extent permitted by law, TEDxSydney disclaims any warranties for other services or goods received through or advertised on the TEDxSydney site or the sites or service, or accessed through any links on the TEDxSydney site. To the fullest extent permitted by law, TEDxSydney disclaims any warranties for viruses or other harmful components in connection with the TEDxSydney site or the service. some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties. In such jurisdictions, some of the foregoing disclaimers may not apply to you insofar as they relate to implied warranties.
10. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY
Under no circumstances shall TEDxSydney be liable for direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages (even if TEDxSydney has been advised of the possibility of such damages), resulting from any aspect of your use of the TEDxSydney site or the service, whether the damages arise from use or misuse of the TEDxSydney site or the service, from inability to use the TEDxSydney site or the service, or the interruption, suspension, modification, alteration, or termination of the TEDxSydney site or the service. such limitation shall also apply with respect to damages incurred by reason of other services or products received through or advertised in connection with the TEDxSydney site or the service or any links on the TEDxSydney site, as well as by reason of any information or advice received through or advertised in connection with the TEDxSydney site or the service or any links on the TEDxSydney site. These limitations shall apply to the fullest extent permitted by law. In some jurisdiction, limitations of liability are not permitted. In such jurisdictions, some of the foregoing limitation may not apply to you.
Attendance and Registration Terms and Conditions
In order to attend the Event, you must:
- be a member of the TEDxSydney community;
- agree to abide by our Attendee Code of Conduct;
- if you are under the age of 15, be accompanied by an adult over 18 years old who has also registered to attend the event; and
- have registered successfully and paid for your attendance in full.
Registered attendees may be required to provide photo identification to obtain their entry badge on the day of the Event.
The current registration fees set out on our website are in Australian dollars and are GST inclusive.
As we are a non-profit organisation, our registration fees represent an integral part of our funding and we do not provide refunds for cancellations, unless required by applicable Australian law.
We apologise for the inconvenience, but we hope you understand. We do allow you to transfer your registration to another member, free of charge. Please see Transfers (below) for more information on how to transfer your registration.
If you have paid registration fees for the Event and find yourself unable to attend, you may transfer your registration without cost, provided:
- the Transferee is also a member of the TEDxSydney community who meets the requirements under Attendance Requirements (above); and
- the transfer request is received by us in writing at email@example.com at least two (2) full days before the event.
Example: If the event is on 22 May, send request on 20 May at the latest.
We cannot guarantee Transfers made after this deadline, as registration systems are finalised at that point.
You consent to:
- us (or someone on our behalf) or our partners taking photographs, and making audio and video recordings of you at the Event (Recordings); and
- us sharing the Recordings to promote the Event in any manner we see fit.
You understand and agree that we own all rights (including copyright and other intellectual property rights) to the Recordings.
You understand that:
- we are under no obligation to use, or pay you for, our use of the Recordings; and
- you will have no right of approval, no claim for compensation, and no claim (including, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation or right of publicity), arising out of, directly or indirectly, from the use and publication of the Recordings.
Attendee Code of Conduct
TEDxSydney is built around a spirit of curiosity, open-mindedness, respect and tolerance and we do not tolerate harassment in any form. As a TEDxSydney attendee, you’re expected to practice tolerance and respect for everyone, including attendees, staff, volunteers and vendors, regardless of their background, class, political views or status.
At a TEDxSydney event, you agree to:
- Respect people’s space and everyone’s ability to participate in the event.
- Respect confidentiality requests by speakers and other attendees.
- Look out for one another.
These behaviours don’t belong at a TEDxSydney event:
- Sexual harassment of any kind, including unwelcome sexual attention and inappropriate physical contact.
- Being disruptive, drinking excessively, bullying, stalking, following or threatening anyone.
- Homophobia, racism or behavior that unlawfully discriminates against a group or class of people.
- Invasion of privacy, including taking photos that are unwanted or intrusive.
We reserve the right to bar any person who violates our Code of Conduct from attending TEDxSydney events in their entirety or in part, and/or to cancel the registration of the person without refund.
Reporting an incident.
If, while at a TEDxSydney event, you have been involved in or have witnessed an incident that violates the Code of Conduct, please report it as soon as possible to a TEDxSydney team member. Team members are onsite at our customer service and registration desks.
Alternatively, you can contact our General Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) or use our name-optional reporting form to let our TEDxSydney team know about an incident. Share as much information as you can to help us with any investigation of the incident.
All reports will be treated in the strictest of confidence to the extent possible, taking account of the TEDxSydney’s obligations to properly investigate complaints in appropriate circumstances.
If you wish, our team can also help you contact venue security or the local police, or provide you with an escort to assist you in feeling safe for the duration of the event.